Saturday, April 14, 2012

EASTER SUNDAY WALK WITH JESUS

WALK WITH JESUS



    Of all the Posts I have written on my Blog, this is the one that I feel I am not really capable of giving the WALK WITH JESUS all of the Honor and Glory it deserves. Except for pictures, which have been furnished my many, I am guilty of doing all of the typing, comments, arrangements and errors in all of my other posts so I see no reason not to try doing this one on my own, but remember this is a family post and not a Church post, so if my daughter's or my picture appears more often than it is felt they should it is for my family to view. Please just bear with me and enjoy this Blessed Easter Day, and remember this post and my complete Blog is open to anyone that might like to view it.Thanks to Beverly Justice for Sanctuary pictures and Barbara for so.so many of hers I used.

                           WRITING THE ENTIRE NEW TESTAMENT ON THE SIDEWALKS  IN WHITEVILLE, NC

I am not sure who was the originator of this wonderful undertaking, but two that were very instrumental in all the planning were Janice Young from the Whiteville Chamber of Commerce and Mark Gilchrist from the Whiteville News Reporter. plus many, many others.I will try to explain in a very small way what was involved in this WALK WITH JESUS. There were about 50 Churches and over 1000 people from the Whiteville area that wrote the Scriptures in washable color chalk.Please understand the streets were blocked off when the writing were underway,and even after they were opened I don't think anyone walked on the Scriptures.First no one would want to, and they could only be read if you were on the road facing them. All Scriptures were washed off before sundown.There was no count but during the day many, many people walked and read them.


 First each Book was  broken down into the number of  scriptures that would fit on a sidewalk square.This was printed on an individual sheet of paper with a special number at the top of the sheet that was given to each person that was involved in writing.These numbers were pasted on each sidewalk square in the over 2 mile of sidewalk involved. Each Church was given a packet with all of the squares that involved them. This enabled each person to go directly to the square that had their number. WOW !!! what planning.
My church, Whiteville United Methodist  had the book of Luke and I believe it took us 5 city streets to complete. I had Luke 9, verses 5 thru 9. You will see later this was written on a square that consisted of I believe 90% rock and 10% cement, but I am not complaining because I felt at times I was having help writing on those rocks.




EASTER WALK WITH JESUS BEGINS

It is 5:45 AM,  Barbara and I are leaving for the Church.I look skyward and see that full and beautiful moon ( and why not, Easter is determined by the 1st Sunday after the 1st full moon occurring on or after the March Equinox,the first day of Spring.).With the Clear sky and that moon so bright I feel our Lord is just saying "Have a Blessed and Happy Easter Sunday".We arrive at the Church and are greeted by

Kathy Graham, our Church Administrative Assistant and husband Joe
arrive early to open our Church
 You will notice the quality and the darkness in these, and following pictures is caused by not only it is not daylight, but I am not using a Licha camera either. This is all you can expect to get for $90.00.









Members being greeted by Kathy

 Another group of early arrivals at the Church
                                                                                    




 




Sue Wells makes me feel I am in the service again
 


Every sidewalk writing needs a beautiful sweeper,.
Beverly Justice with broom in hand




We will now follow Sue to the downtown Sunrise Service




I warned you about the quality of these pictures.
 

Dr. David Heller, Pastor Pleasant Plains Baptist Church ( sorry Dr. Heller)



Beautiful singing by Carol Caldwell and Paula Inman


Emily Fowler playing trumpet and Rev. Hiller



 
Beautiful cross made with paper flowers by children from many Churches in the area


We now leave the Sunrise service and head for our sidewalk locations
















Just to show you how many that were getting ready to get on their knees to write.


Beverly sweeping, and probably getting plenty of advice from the Church members



Grant Merritt, a professional photographer working hard


Sue directing( or misdirecting) us to our proper squares with
Frank & Betty Hamilton looking on. Our Pastor Bill Boykin is the one in shorts
in the upper left in the picture.

ON OUR KNEES HONORING JESUS

I wish it would be possible to show everyone,but enjoy what I have













That Stadium pad did not slide as easy on these rocks as it
did when I practiced on  the kitchen floor.


Barbara in deep thought

I am happy we wrote side by side.
She helped this old man get up.



Really nothing needs to be said about the above pictures
because they speak for themselves.



Me at a point when I am almost feeling my age, however
being on your knees doing this gives you a Blessed feeling

You will remember earlier I mentioned the 90% rock 10% concrete.
This is a closeup of the top of my sidewalk shown  where I was writing 
 with pink chalk.Hard to recognize it isn't it ?.

Scripture writings






I believe that is Sue again leading us to our Luke location .
Smile Emily, you are on candid camera. Crowd leaving Sunrise Service


                              
                  




















RETURN TO CHURCH FOR EASTER WORSHIP

After an Easter morning Sunrise Service, writing the New Testament, and being a part
of 1000 people on their knees praising Jesus by writing His words, Barbara and I decided to walk the mile back to my Church.We knew a wonderful breakfast, prepared by the Methodist Men 
 would be waiting for us on our arrival.


The walk caused us to be a little late but I
understand more than 100 were served breakfast.

EASTER MORNING WORSHIP SERVICE



This was taken from the balcony and it felt so good to have
my daughter with me at this Blessed Easter Service.


Procession returning the Cross, Bible, and
Candles to the empty Alter.




A sight like this will probably never be seen again
in Whiteville United Methodist Church, with so many
dressed in their Sunday finest, blue T shirt with
WALK WITH JESUS printed on the back.
What a glorious sight !!!!!

This brings closure to my Post on WALK WITH JESUS, and I realize there was so much more that could have been written, but maybe it will give all that view this an insight of how much preparation was needed to make this possible..Even if only 1 person was on their knees for the first time, the whole Scripture writing was a success.

GOD LOVES YOU  AND I LOVE YOU  









0 comments: